Time to be bold with your braai menu: try these Braai’d Chermoula Aubergines.
Minimal ingredients but mind-blowing flavours. Serve as a braai side or as the hero dish (they’re that good).
Remember to tag us #pestoprincess so we can admire your creations
Here’s to all things new and different
⅓ cup hot water
2–3 Tbsp Pesto Princess Chermoula Paste
2 Tbsp olive oil (plus a drizzle more olive oil to fry)
4 –5 medium aubergines
2 tsp yellow and black mustard seeds
3 sprigs curry leaves
1 tub Pesto Princess Tzatziki
1. Get the fire ready (you want to braai these aubergines when the goals are medium hot). Alternatively, you can griddle on the stovetop.
2. In a large dish, combine the water, Pesto Princess Chermoula Paste and olive oil.
3. Cut aubergines in half lengthways and place face down into the mixture. Leave for 10 to 20 minutes while the coals heat up.
4. In the meantime, heat some olive oil in a pan over medium to high heat. Add the mustard seeds and curry leaves and fry gently until fragrant and the leaves are crispy.
5. Grill the aubergines cut side down on a braai grid (or griddle pan). Get those beautiful char lines and keep flipping until cooked through.
7. To assemble, spread the Pesto Princess Tzatziki on the base of a plate, top with grilled aubergines and sprinkle over the crispy curry leaves and mustard seeds. Season with salt to taste.
Photography, Recipes and Styling by Michelle Parkin.