Easy? Tick. Healthy? Tick.
This recipe for loaded fries has SUNDAY MOVIE NIGHT written all over it!
Be inspired to make your own version. We’re in love with Camphill products right now so we mixed a little of their yoghurt + Pesto Princess Coriander & Chilli Pesto to make the sauce. Melted cheese, extra chilli and sour cream will also make magic!
Love from the sofa, loaded fries in hand, series on the screen 🙂
You will need
For the sweet potato fries
You can buy frozen sweet potato fries or make your own.
200 g sweet potatoes
2 tsp coconut or canola oil
For the pesto sauce
For the chickpea and tomato salsa
1 small can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
Handful of cherry tomatoes, rinsed and roughly diced
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp lemon juice to taste
Salt and pepper to taste
For the grilled spring onion
6 spring onions, rinsed
1 Tbsp olive oil
100 g feta cheese
A few sprigs of rosemary
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (200°C if your oven doesn’t have a fan).
2. Line a roasting tray with baking paper. Peel the sweet potatoes (place them in cold water to prevent browning). If you enjoy the skin just give them a good scrub! Cut into chunky chips or thin matchsticks and toss in oil before laying out in a single layer on the baking tray. Cook for 12 minutes. Check, toss and turn, and cook for another 12–15 minutes. Cooking time will depend on how thick you have cut your chips, so keep an eye on them!
#TopTip: Space the chips out on the tray for ultimate crispiness!
3. While your chips are cooking, prepare the toppings. For the sauce, combine the Pesto Princess Coriander & Chilli Pesto and yoghurt, taste and add salt if needed. Store in the fridge until you are ready to assemble.
4. Combine all of the salsa ingredients and mix together thoroughly. Taste and season.
5. For the grilled spring onions, heat a griddle pan to smoking hot. Coat the spring onions in a light layer of oil before placing them in the pan.
#TopTip: It is better to oil the ingredient you want to griddle than to oil the pan. Leave for a minute or two. Once slightly charred, turn over and allow the other side to get nice and smoky too before removing from the heat and setting aside.
6. Once your fries are ready, place half on each plate. Top with chickpea salsa, crumbled feta, pesto & yoghurt sauce, grilled spring onions and a few fresh rosemary leaves.
Feeds 2 people.
Food styling and photography by Michelle Parkin.