Thinking about the weekend already? So are we.
We’re ready to press OPT OUT on the frenzied pace of life and head for our kitchens to create superb, simple meals. The easy-peasy harissa butter takes this flank steak to new heights, so phone your friends and invite them to bring a bottle and a salad.
What are you planning?
Whatever you’re up to, we hope you find a few moments to catch your breath, look around you and appreciate those you love, and those who love you.
You will need
100 g butter
Pesto Princess Harissa Paste
6-8 rainbow carrots
1 onion, peeled and quartered
200 g giant or pearl couscous
1/2 cup fresh herbs, roughly chopped (parsley, mint and coriander work well)
2 x 250-300 g flank steak*
* Buy well-reared meat from a butcher you can trust – Frankie Fenner Meat Merchants are our go-to guys. We also recommend removing the steak from the fridge at least half an hour before cooking.
1. Melt the butter and Pesto Princess Harissa Paste in a small pot over low heat. Pour into small ramekins and set in the fridge.
2. Preheat your oven to 200°C. Toss the carrots with a generous splash of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place in a roasting tray and roast for ± 20 – 30 minutes, checking regularly until just tender.
3. Prepare the couscous according to the package instructions, drizzle with olive oil and mix in your chopped herbs and set aside.
4. Rub the steak with a tablespoon of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper while you heat a large cast iron pan on a high heat.
5. Sear the steak on each side for approximately a minute – you want it to be nicely browned. If you prefer your meat well done, let it cook for a little bit longer.
6. Remove the steak from the pan and let it rest while you plate the couscous.
7. Cut the steak across the grain (this is important for flank steak as it ensures tenderness).
Serve with couscous, baby rainbow carrots, onions and a good dollop of harissa butter… and, of course, a glass of red or ginger beer.
Food styling and photography by Michelle Parkin.