This Roasted Cauli with Coriander & Chilli Pesto sauce is a must-make dish this festive season, especially when looking for a vegetarian or vegan option that can take centre stage.
Serve with chilled De Grendel Three Spades Cider (it’s made with pressed pure apple juice from Elgin, rather than apple concentrate and it’s refreshingly delicious).
You will need
1 big cauliflower
1 cup cider (we used the delicious De Grendel Three Spades Cider)
1 cup vegetable stock
100g butter (you can opt for vegan butter too), cubed
5 cloves garlic, with skin on
5–7 strips of lemon rind
Salt and pepper, to taste
4 tsp Pesto Princess Coriander & Chilli Pesto
1⁄4 cup of cream (vegan or normal)
To garnish (optional)
A handful of grated cheese
A handful of crispy chickpeas
Fresh thyme or chopped basil
1. Preheat the oven to 220°c.
2. Place the cauliflower, cider, stock, butter, garlic, lemon rind, salt and pepper in a deep roasting pan. Cover tightly with foil and roast, basting with the pan juices every 30 minutes, for 1 hour 30 minutes.
3. Towards the end of the cooking time, uncover, baste again and roast for a further 15 minutes or until golden brown.
4. To make the sauce, combine the Pesto Princess Coriander & Chilli Pesto with the cream. Once the cauliflower is out of the oven pour over the sauce.
5. Garnish with cheese, crispy chickpeas and fresh herbs.
Slice and serve with a glass of De Grendel Three Spades Cider and enjoy.