Have you seen our brand new range of fresh Cooking Sauces in your local SPAR yet? They’ve been created with your busy life in mind, so that a nourishing, preservative-free and insanely delicious meal will be on the table in minutes.
We’ve used only the freshest ingredients and whole spices as you would when you cook these dishes from scratch. For our vegan friends, this curry sauce contains no butter and no chicken. It’s 100% plant-based and can be made your own by choosing your protein or veggies, simmering and serving.
Try our 10-minute version below and let us know your thoughts!
4 free-range chicken breasts, sliced into bite-sized morsels (we used Fensham’s chicken). For a veggie option, try peppers, onions, sweet potatoes, chickpeas and butternut (or whatever you have on hand).
2–3 Tbsp butter
1–2 tsp cooking oil
1 tub Pesto Princess Butter Chicken Curry Sauce
1/2 cup coconut milk (optional)
For the fresh tomato and red cabbage sambal
2–3 ripe, firm tomatoes, finely cubed
2–3 spring onions, finely sliced
1 small red onion, finely diced
½ cucumber, finely diced
Small bunch fresh coriander, rinsed and finely chopped
½ cup red cabbage, finely diced
1. Add the butter and a small splash of oil to a pan large enough to hold the chicken and the sauce (the butter works as a flavour boost and the oil for holding a high cooking temperature). Heat up before adding the chicken.
2. Once the chicken has taken on some colour, carefully pour in the Pesto Princess Butter Chicken Curry Sauce and lower the heat. Fill the tub with 100 ml water, swirl and add to the pan.
3. When the sauce is simmering gently, add the cream or coconut milk if using.
4. For the red cabbage and tomato sambal, combine all the ingredients, season with salt and pepper and a splash of vinegar just before serving.
5. Serve with rotis, poppadums, naan and/or steamed basmati rice, your favourite sambals and chutneys.
Photography, Recipes and Styling by Michelle Parkin.