I’m often asked to bring a salad or a side dish to a braai, and this is the go-to. I love the fact that it can be prepared well in advance and, when served, it usually steals the show 😉 If you’re needing the plant-based version, lose the bacon and include crispy fried tofu cubes instead.
Screenshot or save the recipe now!
With all our pesto-flavoured love
500 g green beans, trimmed
1 kg baby potatoes
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 clove of garlic, minced
Salt and pepper to taste
200 g streaky bacon
1/2 red onion, finely chopped
Lemon zest (optional, to serve)
Fresh chopped parsley (optional, to serve)
Fresh red chilli, finely sliced (optional, to serve)
For the dressing
2 Tbsp Pesto Princess Coriander & Chilli Pesto
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp wholegrain mustard
1 Tbsp White wine vinegar
1. Put the beans in a large heat-proof dish and cover with boiling water. Set aside until the water has cooled and the beans are al dente.
2. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Halve the baby potatoes, toss them in olive oil and garlic. Season well with salt and pepper. Place in a roasting tray and cook for between 15 and 20 minutes until tender and golden brown.
3. In a large frying pan, heat a drizzle of olive oil, add the bacon and cook until crisp. Set aside on some paper towel.
4. To make the dressing, simply combine all of the dressing ingredients and mix well.
5. Mix the potatoes with the beans and drizzle over the dressing. Transfer to a serving dish and top with crispy bacon, a sprinkle of finely diced red onions, fresh parsley and lemon zest. Serve at room temperature.
Photography, Recipes and Styling by Michelle Parkin.