We love the way this recipe uses up all those annoying scraps of pastry that are always left behind. Not only is this a zero-waste starter, but those pastry scraps will transform into crispy, pesto-filled stars which can be popped whole into the mouths of your eager friends and family. And washed down with your favourite tipple.
We can’t wait 😉
6 Tbsp Pesto Princess Sundried Tomato Pesto
100 g goat’s cheese
1 sheet of ready-made puff pastry, thawed
25 g finely grated Parmesan (optional)
Black sesame seeds (optional)
1 egg, beaten
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a roasting sheet with baking paper.
2. Place the Pesto Princess Sundried Tomato Pesto and goat’s cheese in a small bowl and mix well.
3. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the puff pastry until it is a large rectangle. Spread the pesto and goat’s cheese mixture evenly on top of the pastry, then fold the rectangle in half.
4. Cut out a simple Christmas tree shape and transfer the pastry to the prepared roasting sheet. Cut out the branches of the tree and brush the pastry with beaten egg.
5. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and Parmesan, pressing them gently into the pastry. Twist the branches and press the ends down.
Bake until golden brown (check the timings on your puff pastry package instructions).
Photography, Recipes and Styling by Michelle Parkin.