If you’re looking for a substantial salad that can hold its own as the hero of a feast, stand-alone weeknight dinner or hearty side to your next braai, then this flavour-packed Autumn Salad with Roast Veggies & Couscous is it!
Save some of the roasted veggies, and you can make this delicious wrap tomorrow with virtually no time spent in the kitchen at all.
You will need
For the harissa dressing
½ jar Pesto Princess Harissa Paste
2 limes, juiced and zested
1 Tbsp honey
¼ cup olive oil
For the roasted harissa veggies
1 large cauliflower, broken into florets
1 large butternut, peeled
1 red or yellow pepper*
1 large aubergine
1 red onion
3 baby marrows*
200 g punnet rosa tomatoes
For the couscous salad
130 g couscous
1 Tbsp olive oil
1½ cups boiling vegetable stock
1 cup pumpkin seeds
1 mango, sliced in slivers
Handful of fresh rocket or watercress
*For extra crunch and freshness the sweet pepper and baby marrow can be left raw and added in thin slices to the salad just before serving.
1. Combine all of the dressing ingredients and give them a good stir or shake.
2. Pre-heat the oven to 220°C. Cut the cauliflower into florets and the butternut, red pepper and baby marrows into large chunks. Slice the aubergine into rounds of 1 cm thick and the onion in wedges. Toss the prepared vegetables with half the harissa dressing. In a roasting pan, spread out all of the veggies in a single layer. Roast in the middle of the oven for ± 25–30 minutes until the veggies are soft and beginning to char here and there. Remove to cool (setting aside a generous bowl of veggies to use tomorrow in your delicious wrap).
3. In a large mixing bowl, add the olive oil and hot vegetable stock to the couscous. Cover and allow to stand for five minutes. Toss with a fork to loosen the grains before covering and setting aside for another five minutes.
4. Toast the pumpkin seeds in a dry pan or in the hot oven until fragrant.
5. Give the couscous another rake with a fork and spread it out on a large serving dish. Arrange the roasted vegetables on top and drizzle liberally with the remaining harissa dressing. Allow to settle for ten minutes.
6. Just before serving, arrange the mango slivers, rocket and pumpkin seeds on top.