This recipe is not all that it seems. You see a roast chicken with the most delicious chimichurri kick, right? Well, what’s really going down here is a cook’s night off! Oh, yes. Make this roast tonight and in the morning you’ll be taking an enviable Chicken Power Salad to work or serving it up for yet another nourishing supper.
Keen to take it for a spin? We hope so.
With love from all of us lazy cooks.
You will need
1 free range chicken
1 jar Pesto Princess Chimichurri
100 ml olive oil
1 butternut cut into wedges
1 crispy crunchy lettuce
100 g feta
3 Tbsp Pesto Princess Basil Pesto
100 ml double thick yoghurt
Black pepper and sea salt to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. To prepare the chicken, loosen the skin around the breasts as much as possible and spoon one tablespoon of Pesto Princess Chimichurri under the skin of each breast. Rub the rest of the chicken all over with another two tablespoons of Pesto Princess Chimichurri, season with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Set aside to marinade and to get to room temperature for approximately 30 minutes.
2. Put the butternut in a greased roasting tray, drizzle with olive oil and season.
3. Plop the chicken onto a roasting rack, and stand it over the butternut so that becomes anointed with those delicious pan juices. Roast uncovered for 30–40 minutes depending on size. When done, the chicken should be crispy and golden brown.
4. In a large salad bowl, add the lettuce, butternut, crumbled feta and top with a dollop of Pesto Princess Basil Pesto.
5. Combine the rest of the Pesto Princess Chimichurri with the double thick yoghurt and check the seasoning. This makes a delicious dipping sauce for your chicken.
Carve up, serve and enjoy!
Serves 4 as a main OR 2 as a main plus lunch the next day
Food styling and photography by Michelle Parkin.
Food Assistant: Bianca Strydom