Hip hip hooray, it’s our 20th birthday!
(That rhymes. Ha-ha)
I am so grateful that Pesto Princess is thriving, 20 years on. Thank you, from the very bottom of my heart, for your encouragement, your years of support and your caring.
In celebration, we have created this masterpiece of a savoury cake. It looks impressive, but it’s really easy to make. It is also a deep curtsey to honour our Pesto Princess Basil Pesto – the handmade product that started it all back in 1998.
Perhaps you too are celebrating a big milestone? Or just needing to take stock, and appreciate where you are on your own journey.
Thank you for being such an integral part of ours.
You will need
For the savoury cheesecake
120 g savoury biscuits
60 g butter, melted
240 g full fat cream cheese (at room temperature)
3 Tbsp Pesto Princess Basil Pesto
2 large eggs, beaten
50 g mature cheddar cheese, grated
These ingredients make one small savoury cheesecake or four jumbo muffins.
For the ROYAL cake
Let your imagination go wild and create a ROYAL layered cake topped with your savoury cheesecake (recipe below). We used:
Wheels of our favourite cheeses
Lashings of Pesto Princess Basil Pesto
Crackers (here is our recipe for homemade sea salt and rosemary crackers).
1. Crush the biscuits in a food processor or in a ziplock bag using a rolling pin.
2. Add the melted butter and mix to combine, the texture should be like beach sand and should stick together when pinched. If not, add a tablespoon of melted butter until you achieve the desired texture.
3. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line your jumbo muffin pans or a small loose bottomed cake tin (we wanted a single layer cheesecake as our ROYAL cake ‘topper’).
4. Press the crumb mixture into the bottom of the tin and place in the fridge for 10 minutes.
5. Combine the cream cheese, pesto, eggs and cheddar until you have a smooth consistency. Divide the batter equally into the muffin tin and bake for between 15–20 minutes, until golden on top and with only the slightest of wobbles!
6. Remove from the oven and let it cool completely before serving.
Now build your ROYAL cake! Wheels of cheese, extra dips, crackers, olives, gherkins… and topped with your cheesecake. What a celebration!
Food styling and photography by Michelle Parkin.
Food assistant: Lichelle May.