Meat tends to hog the spotlight at a braai but we’re here to inspire a whole lot more love for veggies cooked to perfection over the coals this season.
These cauliflower skewers hit all the right notes. Grilling the cauli redeems it from boiled blandness, and releases interesting nutty flavours locked deep within. The Basil & Lemon Pesto drizzle with extra chilli will keep everyone (not only your vegan and vegetarian friends) coming back for more.
Wishing you many relaxing hours around the fire, with the special people in your life
You will need
1 head of cauliflower
6 wooden skewers (soaked for 30 minutes in water)
1/4 cup olive oil + extra for brushing
1/4 jar Pesto Princess Basil & Lemon Pesto
1 fresh red chilli or red chilli flakes
2 lemons, halved
1. Soak the wooden skewers in water for 30 minutes before assembling.
2. Cut the cauliflower into thick slices (using a smaller cauliflower actually works better for this) or you can simply use the florets.
3. Place the cauliflower in a large pot with just a drop of water and steam for about 2-3 minutes. You don’t want the cauli to cook through – you just want to take the ‘raw’ edge off.
4. Thread the cauliflower onto the skewers and brush with olive oil before braaing over a gentle heat.
5. Combine the olive oil, Pesto Princess Basil & Lemon Pesto and chopped fresh chilli. Set aside for flavours to mingle.
6. Once the skewers are ready, serve with pesto drizzle and an extra squeeze of lemon.
#TopTip: Braai the halved lemons alongside the cauliflower to get the maximum juice out of them.
Recipe and food styling by Michelle Parkin.