Hello to you all,
No Christmas dinner is complete without the perfect roast potato, right? Our secret to that ridiculously crispy outside and the melt-in-the-mouth inside is a little (or a lot) of duck fat. You can buy duck fat in most supermarkets at this time of year and it certainly elevates the humble potato to the realms of greatness.
Prepare them as part of our Pesto Princess Christmas Feast, or enjoy them on their own, dunked in the pesto dip.
With love from us all at the Palace,
You will need
For the potatoes:
1.5 kg potatoes, peeled and quartered
2-3 Tbsp flour
1 tsp salt
150 g duck fat
For the pesto dip:
250 g crème fraîche
2-3 Tbsp of your favourite Pesto Princess Pesto
1. Place the potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to the boil and cook until they are tender when you poke them with a fork.
2. Strain the potatoes in a colander and leave to air dry for a few minutes before sprinkling with flour. Toss the potatoes in the colander and add more flour as needed to cover them with a light dusting all round, finish off with a sprinkle of salt. You want the potatoes to get a little ‘rough around the edges’ as this adds to the crispiness.
3. Place your roasting tray, with duck fat, in the oven and heat to 180°C. Once heated through, remove the tray and carefully place the potatoes into the hot fat, taking care not to crowd the pan. A pair of long tongs is ideal for this task, preventing you from being splashed by hot fat.
4. Put the potatoes back into the hot oven and roast for 10-15 minutes before turning and roasting for a further 10-15 minutes. Ovens vary, so keep checking as you are after a delicious golden hue and crispy edges.
5. While the potatoes are roasting, mix together the crème fraîche and pesto in a little serving bowl.
Once the potatoes are ready, sprinkle with some extra salt and serve.
Recipe and food styling by Michelle Parkin.
To see all of the recipes in our Pesto Princess Christmas Feast, head this way.